Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Copyright issues

Its a crazy thing, copyright infringement.  I have actually had it happen to me, a long time ago I walked into a Big Box store and found a huge round rack full of kids clothes with my designs on them... they were direct copies of my art that had been blown up and silk screened onto tee shirts.  Each Big Box Store in the US ordered and paid for 144 pieces of clothing...and the person who stole my art was paid over 50,000.00 for that.   I did not get a dime, until I hired an attorney.  So when you here of a big guy going after a little guy it sort of seems unfair...but think about the fact that some how that little guys art gets into the wrong hands in say... China, and a million tee shirts get printed and sold. I get why the original is being defensive...and I have removed any reference to names on purpose!  I feel really uncomfortable when asked to do clip art from a book...so I just want to say I will not do it!  It is a completely different thing to do your own thing from a fairy tale, or folk tale and I even feel uneasy about some of those sets and may be removing them.

8 comments:

  1. Do you know if you'll be doing a goldilocks or red riding hood set anytime soon?
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer, I just started little Red today! Ive got all the fairy tales in a list and Im going to just go for as many as I can before I get sidetracked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative and an amazing artist! Thank you for all your wonderful artwork!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh that is crazy! I can only imagine the look on your face to see our stuff on some clothes somewhere!! I love your stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not blame you one bit I think filling people's requests is wonderful but it must be ethical. It is very hard to get permission from authors to make products, including digital clip art, and a copyright infringement would make life AWFUL.
    I ADORE your work and will support you regardless.

    Thank you!
    Cecelia
    http://ilove1stgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen! I am so sad to hear about what happened to you! I have to say that I absolutely LOVE your clip art! And I love how your TOU are so easy to use for teachers! As a teacher who uses many of your clip art sets to create materials to sell on Teacher's Pay Teachers I just want to say THANK YOU! I can't wait to see your future creations :).

    Barbara
    http://mrskilburnkiddos.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that someone stole your clipart and put them on shirts. :-/
    Just wanted you to know that I love your clipart and think what you do is AMAZING! :)

    -Lovely Nina

    Lovely Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristen,
    I just LOVE your clipart. I have given you a Top Ten Award. Go over to Classroom Fun and check it out.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete